St Paul's Walden Bury Garden
Landscape garden covering 50 acres
St Pauls Walden Bury is a Grade 1 listed garden laid out in the early 18thcentury and has kept the original concept of a formal woodland garden, with temples, statues and ponds. It reflects the idea that a garden should be in harmony with the surrounding landscape: thus allees and avenues flow out into the countryside, while features of the countryside, such as the church, are drawn into the design, and trees are left to grow naturally.
The formal garden was influenced by French 17th century architects, such as Le Notre, and is based on the classic patte d’oie(goose foot) design, in which avenues radiate from a focal point. The long avenues are lined with clipped beech hedges: the original plantings of clipped hornbeam were replaced in the 1930's to the same design. One of the features of the garden is that the visitor frequently comes upon a surprise. There are unexpected views of temples and statues, hidden glades and a secluded teraced theater .
There is an interesting collection of plants in the more recent woodland garden, and wild flowers are encouraged. There are seasonal displays of snowdrops, daffodils, cowslips, magnolia, rhododendrons and woodland lilies. April and May are the best months to see the rhododendrons, magnolias and azaleas in full flower.
The picture below shows a statue known here as "the running footman" surrounded by wild spotted orchids in June.